Engagement & Community Rules
Civil dialogue is our priority. We reserve the right to suspend membership to anyone who violates this.
- Treat all users and colleagues fairly and equally. Stimulate conversation, be respectful of others’ views, and refrain from personal attacks..
- Respect legitimate intellectual property rights, do not plagiarize work, and give credit to the originators of ideas.
- Don’t share the posts of others without permission.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal material is strictly prohibited.
- Discriminatory, hostile or intimidating messages or language will not be tolerated, whether based on a person’s race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, social or economic class, educational level, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, size, family status, political belief, religion, or mental or physical ability.
- Internet Society strives to create and maintain a community in which people of many different backgrounds and cultures are treated with respect.
- Be mindful and respectful of linguistic background – while the language for online fora discussions is mostly English (unless otherwise specified), remember not everybody is a native English speaker / writer.
- Keep subject lines concise and clear so that members can respond appropriately and easily search the archives.
- Include only relevant portions of the original message in replies.
- Only send a message to the entire list if everyone can benefit from it. Do not send “thank you” and “me too” replies to the full list.
- Avoid administrative messages, such as remove me from the list (use the web interface to change your personal settings).
- If relevant, add “Long Message” to the subject line or at the beginning of the message body.
- Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
- Don’t publicly post commercial messages.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all members to see. Comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Please carefully read the items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.