Janice Jochum is a life-long feminist and political and community activist.
Her early years were spent in North Carolina where she began community and political involvement while still in her teens. She participated in fundraising for the Arts Council, the symphony orchestra and programs for teens .She developed an interest in journalism at an early age and ultimately had a weekly byline in her city's daily newspaper. She volunteered in political campaigns before she was old enough to vote and has continued to do so in the intervening years.
On a trip to Baltimore a chance encounter with a group of young National Organization For Women members at a college recruitment event she decided where her volunteer efforts needed to be focused. Now living in Florida, she joined her local NOW chapter as soon as she returned home. The list of her professional and volunteer accomplishments since then is lengthy.
- Owner of and designer for jj and company CREATIVE CLOTHES.
- Served several terms as NOW chapter President.
- Chair of the Florida NOW Task Force For Divorce Equity.
- Led a NOW Task Force for legislation specifically dealing with sexual assault by a uniformed officer.
- Recipient of a commendation from Florida NOW in appreciation of work for women’s rights.
- Registered lobbyist for women’s rights issues.
- Served on NOW’s Media and Communications Committee for three consecutive national marches.
- Tampa Bay area organizer for the 1989 Pro Choice March in Washington, DC.
- Past President of Women’s Production Network, Inc., and Executive Producer of its’ Public Access Television program, HerStory .
- One of two grant recipients invited to attend the 1997 National Network of Grant Makers Conference on Funding the Media.
- Founding Director of Coalition To Save Public Access.
- Past President of PCTV ( Pinellas Community Television).
- Past Chair and Vice Chair of Pinellas County Democratic Executive Committee.
- Pinellas Democratic Party Chairman’s Award for her work for reproductive rights and women’s equality.
- Volunteer for dozens of local, state and national campaigns including press secretary for two of these.